XPRIZE, the global leader in designing and operating incentive competitions to solve humanity’s grand challenges, announced the five finalists advancing in the USD 15M Global Learning XPRIZE which includes Chimple, a team from Bangalore.
Each of the five finalists were awarded with a USD 1 million milestone prize. Chimple is developing a learning platform aimed at enabling children to learn reading, writing, and mathematics on a tablet.
The five finalist teams will begin field testing their education technology solutions this November in Tanzania.
XPRIZE is a highly leveraged, incentivized prize competition that pushes the limits of what’s possible to change the world for the better.
It captures the world’s imagination and inspires others to reach for similar goals, spurring innovation and accelerating the rate of positive change.
1. Chimple (Bangalore, India) is developing a learning platform and their aim is to enable children to read, write, and practice mathematics on a tablet through more than 60 explorative games.
2. Kitkit School (Berkeley, United States) is developing a learning programme which will have a game-based core and flexible learning architecture. The aim is to help children who can learn independently, irrespective of their knowledge and skills.
3. Onebillion (UK/Malawi/Tanzania) is merging numeracy content with new literacy material. Its aim is to offer directed learning and creative activities alongside continuous monitoring to respond to different children’s needs.
4. Robo Tutor (Pittsburgh, United States) is taking advantage from Carnegie Mellon’s research in reading and math tutors, speech recognition and synthesis, machine learning, educational data mining, cognitive psychology, and human-computer interaction.
5. CCI (New York, United States) is developing structured and sequential instructional programmes to enable non-coders to develop engaging learning content in different language or area.
Date: Sept 23, 2017