R V Deshpande – Higher Education Minister – sought to clear the confusion over admission to professional courses for the academic year 2014-15, when he reiterated the State government’s stand on continuing with the existing fee structure and seat matrix.
“There will be no change in the fee structure for professional courses this year,” said Deshpande, adding that admissions to the professional courses will be held in the same format as last year. Speaking to the media after a meeting with education department officials, he said, “The government is committed to continue with the admission process without increasing the fee and with the same seat matrix as last year.”
The chief minister also conveyed to private managements that there will be no changes in either the seat matrix or the fee, the minister added. Deshpande allayed fears of parents and students saying that there was no need for them to be anxious about the Common Entrance Test. “It will be held as scheduled,” he said.
Speaking on seat sharing with deemed universities, the minister said the matter was before the High Court and that all deemed universities would have to abide by the HC order.
Confusion over admissions to professional courses, engineering in particular, has been persisting as private managements have been demanding a fee hike, refusing to admit students at the existing fees.
At a meeting held by the chief minister a couple of months ago, it was decided to stick to the existing fee structure. However, a section of the private management colleges appealed before the HC to allow them to hike fees. The court, too, had asked the government to decide on the issue.
Date: April 20, 2014
Source: Deccan Herald